Police synopsis: Officer-involved Shooting - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Police synopsis: Officer-involved Shooting

Posted: Updated:

The following is the Dallas Police Department's official synopsis of the fatal shooting of James Harper by Officer Brian Rowden on July 24, 2012.

On July 24, 2012, Officers Brian Rowden, #8477, and Michael Begin, #8574, and Gary Bromley #9613 responded to a kidnapping call at 5316 Bourquin. When the officers arrived they heard noise coming from inside the house. Officer Begin knocked on the side door, and someone inside said come in. When Officer Begin opened the outer door, he was stopped by a metal cage fastened to an interior door. Officer Begin yelled "police", and someone inside slammed the interior door closed. Officers Begin and Rowden went to the side window, and as their view of the interior was obstructed, pushed the air condition unit out of the way and observed four Black male suspects inside the residence as well as a hand gun lying on a table. At that point, the suspects jumped up, one of them grabbed the gun off the table, and they all fled to the rear of the residence. The officers heard glass breaking, ran to the rear of the residence, and observed the four suspects jumping out of the rear window of the residence and attempt to flee the location. Officer Begin took Suspect Arthur Dixon into custody as he attempted to jump a fence behind the residence. The other three suspects continued running. Officer Rowden caught up with Suspect James Harper as he attempted to jump the fence, grabbed his legs and Suspect Harper then kicked Officer Rowden in the chest. Suspect Harper continued over the fence with Officer Rowden in pursuit. Officer Rowden and Suspect Harper jumped a total of three fences and ended in a horse corral at 3803 Mural Lane. Once inside the horse corral Suspect Harper turned and began fighting with Officer Rowden. Officer Rowden and Suspect Harper fought violently, and Officer Rowden lost his handcuffs and sustained injuries to both arms which did not require him to be transported for medical treatment. Suspect Harper made numerous statements to the effect that Officer Rowden was going to have to kill him. Throughout the foot pursuit and fight, Suspect Harper kept his hand on his pocket and as Officer Rowden had seen a handgun lying on a table inside the residence that Suspect Harper had just fled from, he feared Suspect Harper was armed. Suspect Harper and Officer Rowden fought violently two additional times, and by the third violent encounter, Suspect Harper again stated something to the effect that Officer Rowden was going to have to kill him and still had his hand on his pocket as if he had a weapon. By this time Officer Rowden was overheated and exhausted, and fearing for his life, he fired his duty weapon, striking Suspect Harper. Dallas Fire and Rescue responded to the location and pronounced Suspect Harper deceased at the scene.

Suspect Arthur Dixon was transported to CAPERS where he was interrogated and subsequently arrested for two alias tickets out of Dallas and Evading Arrest.

A search warrant was executed at 5316 Bourquin by CAPERS detectives as well as Narcotics detectives. Recovered from the residence was one Ruger P95 9mm hand gun, one Mosburg 12 gauge shot gun, 171 grams of Marijuana, 16.1 grams PCP (38 vials), 30.1 grams Crack Cocaine inside the residence, 19 grams Crack Cocaine outside the residence (on the path the suspects took when fleeing the residence) 24.1 grams Xanex, and 52.1 grams Hydrocodene. Also found were nine cell phones, four digital scales and a partial drug ledger. $437 was recovered from the right front pants pocket of Suspect Harper at the scene.

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices