A 2-year-old boy should be released from the hospital Thursday, two days after he was bit by a copperhead snake on a pre-school playground.
The child, whose name was not released, was bitten on his ankle at the North Star Learning Center, a school run by Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church on North Star Road in Richardson.
According to executive director Julie Tangney, about 25 children were outside Tuesday on the school's playground equipment, which is set in a courtyard in the U-shaped building.
Suddenly, one of the children began screaming. Tangney tells FOX 4 she saw a 3-foot snake coiled on the ground, ready to strike again.
The school called the Richardson Fire Department, which destroyed and removed the snake.
The boy was rushed to the hospital.
Tangney said the snakes banded brown coloring matched perfectly with the wood chips covering the playground.
Southern copperhead bites are seldom fatal, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website. The snake has short fangs with only a small amount of venom.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?