Woman: Forced to live alongside squatter in my Detroit house - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Forced to live alongside squatter in my Detroit house, woman says

Posted: Updated:

By Taryn Asher
FOX 2 News Reporter

DETROIT -- Heidi Peterson always dreamed of living in a historical home.  In May of 2010, she bought one in Detroit's Boston-Edison District for $23,000.

After being away for a year, she said she returned to her house last week and found a woman living there.  Peterson learned from neighbors she had been living there for a few months.

Peterson claims the squatter changed the locks, reworked the plumbing, replaced her appliances, put a lien on the house and even changed the curtains, and now this squatter won't leave.  So now they are forced to sleep one room away from each other, Peterson with her one-year-old daughter.

The alleged squatter's name is documented all over the house as Missionary-Tracey Elaine Blair, a write-in candidate for president.

We asked Peterson whether she feels safe.

"I don't know what the capabilities are.  We're afraid of her mindset of entitlement."

A squatter doesn't have a legal right to the property, but under the law the homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force.  In most cases, the homeowner has to file a civil action in court, prove it's their property and evict the squatter.  That is what Peterson is trying to do.

"She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them," Peterson said.

Since Peterson spent all of her money on the house, she said she can't afford to go anywhere else, and until she can legally kick the woman out, they are forced to live under the same roof.

"I thought if the house is not safe, how can I come here with my child?  There's an issue with that.  But should I lose my house to a squatter because I don't have rights to my property or should I fight to get it back," said Peterson.

As our story was going to air, we had a chance to talk to the alleged squatter.  She denied that she was squatting and said she has a lease.

"I have a construction lien for the repairs that I put into the house.  Someone had (broken) into the house on July the Fourth and they stripped the radiators and I made a report," she added.

"In February 2011, we had to vacate because the boiler was damaged," she continued.  "I took all my books and my writings, but my (furniture was) still left in (there)."

We also asked her whether she thinks there is a program where anybody can go into Detroit, take over an abandoned house and live there.

"I'm an advocate for affordable housing.  That's a part of my campaign," she said.  "I've believed that since the first time I met her when I was running for state Senate (in) 2010 and she was also running for a political office, that was a part of my belief.  I signed an oath pledging that I would fight for affordable homes."

We're told Peterson leased the house to tenants in 2010, including this alleged squatter, but had to evict everyone when it was found not fit to live in.

We're also told the alleged squatter filed papers with the city claiming the property was abandoned.

• Taryn AsherTaryn AsherMore>>

Man accused of calling taxi to move a body

Monday, July 28 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:20:50 GMT
    A mother is struggling with the fact that her 21-year-old daughter lost her battle with drug addiction, and then she learns the despicable lengths two people went to get rid of her child's body.

Renisha McBride's family leaves courtroom as photos are shown

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:29:16 GMT
    On day two of the trial for Renisha McBride's shooting death, the final hours of her life and the moments after her death were detailed in court. Thursday the jury heard what Ted Wafer, her accused killer, told police about the shooting that night.

1 dead when car crashes into house after driver, passenger shot

Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:30 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:30:13 GMT
    One person is dead and another is injured after a shooting on Detroit's west side. The two victims were riding in the same vehicle, which lost control and crashed into the side of a house after the shooting.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Michigan man mocked on Instagram by Shaquille O'Neal, celebrities files lawsuit

Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:08:15 GMT
    Jahmel Binion filed a lawsuit in Macomb County court today.Jahmel Binion filed a lawsuit in Macomb County court today.
    They said they were sorry -- but it's not enough. The local man -- who was mocked for his appearance on Instagram by Shaquille O'Neal and other celebrities is now suing.

Witnesses describe punch that killed soccer ref, say suspect has been violent before

Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:57:23 GMT
    More details emerged from 16th District Court about what happened on the soccer field the day that referee John Bieniewicz died, allegedly from a punch to the neck by Baseel Abdul-Amir Saad. Testimony was heard through the eyes of four witnesses, three players including two on the opposing team, one teammate of Saad and a police officer. According to court testimony, Saad has gotten violent before on the soccer field.Wiping away tears, 36-year-old Saad, facing a judge on second-degree murder ...

Woman's life changed from side effect of bariatric surgery

Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:41 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:41:11 GMT
    A metro Detroit woman should be celebrating her tremendous weight loss, but instead is now battling a rare condition that has her regretting her bariatric surgery.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices