Neighbor braves fire and saves family trapped inside - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Neighbor braves fire and saves family trapped inside

Posted: Updated:
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (myFOXDetroit.com) -

Al Bazemore woke up to pounding on his door around 5AM Friday morning. His neighbor's children were at the door, saying their house was on fire and their mother and grandmother were still inside.

Bazemore hurried across the street to the house, where the smoke was so thick he says he couldn't even see his hands in front of his face.

He maneuvered his way through the house crawling on the floor. He was able to reach the mother, who was staying by the side of her mother – 73-years old and paralyzed from the waist down.  

Bazemore was able to get the grandmother safely outside but the mother had passed out during the process and was still trapped inside.

Bazemore didn't hesitate to go back inside one more time. The pair did make it out safely.

The mother, grandmother, and four kids, aged two to sixteen, were taken to a nearby hospital. The mother, after being in the fire the longest, is in intensive care on a breathing machine, suffering damage to her lungs.

The house was on Hampshire Street, near I-94 and Harper. The fire started after a space heater caught fire in the basement.

Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices