Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Superstorm Sandy

Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service

Posted: Updated:
Ambulances lined up waiting to transport patients out of Bellevue (building in background). Ambulances lined up waiting to transport patients out of Bellevue (building in background).
NEW YORK (AP) -

Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan reopened its nonemergency walk-in services Monday after suffering what officials called "devastating damage" from Superstorm Sandy.

But full services at the East Side facility won't resume until February, hospital officials announced at a news conference.

Starting Monday, Bellevue also will offer limited adult and pediatric outpatient primary care clinics and routine OB-GYN services.

Limited emergency care services are expected by mid-December.

City Health and Hospitals Corp. President Alan Aviles said it's the first time in 275 years the hospital was forced to stop operations. 

"It was only a few weeks ago that this historic public hospital suffered devastating damage from a monster storm that required the evacuation of all patients," Aviles said. "Our doors are once again open 24/7 while we continue the slow but certain road toward recovery with a shared sense of purpose focused, as always, on our commitment to our patients and the community we serve."

About 700 patients had to be evacuated from Bellevue when all but one of the hospital's generators failed.

Bellevue is one of four New York hospitals closed to inpatients three weeks after the storm hit the city last month. The three other medical facilities are New York University Langone Medical Center, the Manhattan VA Medical Center and Coney Island Hospital.

Patients were transported to other New York hospitals with extra beds.

Until the closure days after the storm, the National Guard aided Bellevue's efforts to stay open by hauling fuel to backup generators. But it was determined that flood damage would make it impossible to adequately power the hospital.

The fuel feed to the generators stopped working when an estimated 17 million gallons of water rushed into the hospital's 1-million-square-foot basement. The floodwaters also knocked out power to the hospital's elevators.

NYU Langone Medical Center, on the East Side near Bellevue, evacuated 300 patients after it lost generator power because of the storm. Outpatient facilities are up and running, and inpatients are expected to return in several weeks.

Coney Island Hospital also is partially reopened and due to be fully operational by January, Aviles said.

Employees from the Manhattan VA Hospital, which remains closed, have been relocated to the Brooklyn VA Medical Center. 

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, working with the City Council, allocated $300 million in emergency restoration capital funds to help the city's hospitals rebuild and recover from Sandy.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
  • Some StubHub accounts breached

    Some StubHub accounts breached

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:34:20 GMT
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
  • Bloomberg flies to Israel in show of support

    Bloomberg flies to Israel in show of support

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:12 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:12:27 GMT
    Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg flew to Israel via a commercial El Al flight despite an FAA ban on U.S.-based airlines flying to Tel Aviv. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met Bloomberg on the tarmac outside the El Al jet Wednesday at Ben Gurion International Airport.
    Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg flew to Israel via a commercial El Al flight despite an FAA ban on U.S.-based airlines flying to Tel Aviv. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met Bloomberg on the tarmac outside the El Al jet Wednesday at Ben Gurion International Airport.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices