Thanks to Karin Hosenfeld of www.northdallasnutrition.com for these recipes.
CALIFORNIA RAISIN BACON BRUSSELS SPROUTS
1 pound Brussels sprouts
3 slices hickory smoked bacon*, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup California raisins
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Red pepper flakes; for garnish
Wash, trim and quarter Brussels sprouts; arrange in microwave-safe container with 1 tablespoon water. Cover, and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove with slotted spoon to drain on paper towels; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet; add onion and cook over medium heat until tender. Then, stir in cooked Brussels sprouts, raisins, salt and pepper; toss to combine and continue to cook just until heated through. Sprinkle cooked bacon pieces on top. Turn into large serving dish; garnish with cooked bacon pieces and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, as desired.
Vegetarian version: Omit bacon (or use soy bacon), and use 1 tablespoon olive oil instead of drippings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 110 (42% from fat); Total Fat 5g (sat 2g, mono 2g, poly <1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 5mg; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 13g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 9g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 150mg; Calcium 29mg; Potassium 317mg
SWEET AND SAVORY STUFFING
16 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (8 cups)
1/4 cup butter, divided
1 cup California raisins
2 cups hot water
1 stalk celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large McIntosh apple, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1-1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X13-inch shallow baking pan; set aside. Toss bread cubes with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spread in baking pan and toast in oven at 350°F, rotating once, until browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Soak raisins in 2 cups hot water for 15 minutes, and drain. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, stir in apples and mushrooms; continue to cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Turn into large bowl, and combine with bread, pecans, raisins and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg and add broth to moisten, stirring until well combined. Transfer to prepared pan; cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Then, remove foil and continue to bake until golden brown on top and crisp around edges, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve piping hot.Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 190 (43% from fat); Total Fat 10g (sat 2.5g, mono 4.5g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 20mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 24g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 10g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 220mg; Calcium 32mg; Potassium 210mg
DECADENT GRAPE-GLAZED CARROTS
1 1/2 cups Welch's 100% Grape Juice made with Concord grapes
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
8 medium carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices
Salt to taste
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios
1. In a small cup, stir together 2Tablespoons of the grape juice and the cornstarch.
2. Bring one quart of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add the carrots and salt. Cook 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Drain well.
3. In the same saucepan, heat the remaining grape juice, sugar, and balsamic vinegar until boiling. Stir the cornstarch mixture and add it to the juice. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce returns to the simmer and thickens.
4. Add the carrots and stir until coated. Pour into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the pistachios. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Per Serving:
140 calories, 2.5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 2g protein, 29g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 3g fiberVignette
CHEESECAKE STUFFED STRAWBERRIES
-1 lb large strawberries
-8 oz. cream cheese, softened (can use 1/3 less fat)
-3-4 tbsp powdered sugar (4 tbsp for a sweeter filling)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-graham cracker crumbs
1. Rinse strawberries and cut around the top of the strawberry. Remove the top and clean out with a paring knife, if necessary (some may already be hollow inside). Prep all strawberries and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Add cream cheese mix to a piping bag or ziploc with the corner snipped off. Fill strawberries with cheesecake mixture. Once strawberries are filled, dip the top in graham cracker crumbs. If not serving immediately, refrigerate until serving.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?