Overdue library book returned after 55 years - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Overdue library book returned after 55 years

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

"Fire of Francis Xavier" is considered nonfiction. But the more appropriate place for it is probably on the shelves of the mystery section.

The book was checked out from the library on April 10, 1958, and has been on some journey. Now the book has finally found its way back home to the Fort Washington branch. It was delivered Monday in a manila envelope with a $100 check.

The dusty, dog-eared and marked-up copy was clearly used by whoever checked it out. And that's part of the mystery: who really had it? The library doesn't know. Its records don't go back that far. All library officials know is whose name was on the check, and they are keeping that confidential because the sender could have been anyone cleaning out a house or attic.

Then there is the issue of the overdue library fine; 55 years ago it was 2 cents a day. But library policy is not to exceed cost of book, which was $4 in 1958.

Adjusting for inflation, the value is $50, which is more than covered by that $100 check.

For those looking for this book, you won't find it at the Fort Washington branch. It is going back to the Main Branch so that the librarians there can decide if the book can be put back into circulation.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices