Get this recipe courtesy of Johnny Prep. Learn more about him online at johnnyprep.net.
4 cups all purpose flour
1 package instant rise yeast
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 cup water, 115-125 degrees
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1 tsp garlic clove, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz. baby Portabella mushrooms
4 oz Portabella mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1/2 red bell pepper , seeded and sliced
6 slices eggplant, peeled, and cut into 1/4 in slices
8 Stalks asparagus spear tips
1/2 Spanish onion, cut into strips
1 Tbsp garlic clove, finely chopped
8 oz Fontinella or Gouda cheese, Shredded
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
salt to sprinkle on crust
fresh basil leaves for garnish
corn meal to prevent sticking while rolling
salt and pepper
1. Place flour, salt, and instant rise yeast in food processor with blade and pulse to mix.
2. In a large measuring cup stir warm water, honey, and olive oil until honey dissolves into water.
3. With processor running pour water mixture thru feed tube. Dough will form into a ball. Let process for 2 minutes.
4. On a large surface sprinkle some flour to keep dough from sticking. Place dough on surface and need for 4-5 minutes using the heal of your hand and turning dough a quarter turn each time while folding it over on itself.
5. Roll dough into a ball using both hands and rotating in a circular and downward motion to stretch dough and form a smooth surface. Coat dough ball with a little olive oil a place in a cover bowl to let rise for 2 hours no cooler than room temperature.
6. Remove dough, need for another minute and repeat balling process. Brush with olive oil and let rest for at least another hour. Dough can now be place in refrigerator overnight if desired or rolled into a pizza.
7. To make the sauce place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
8. Preheat a grill pan or grill over medium high heat. Toss mushrooms, bell peppers, eggplant, asparagus and onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetable on grill and cook until vegetables are nicely browned and soft about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
9. Sprinkle surface you are going to roll out pizza dough lightly with corn meal. Roll out pizza dough to preferred thickness (usually between 1/8 and 1/4 inch). Spoon sauce on pizza in quantity preferred leaving a 1 inch crust. (don't over do the sauce)
10. Spread cheese over sauce so it covers as much area as possible, but not on the crust.
11. Using a slotted spoon spread vegetables over cheese.
12. Brush crust with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and salt.
13. Preheat oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone on the middle rack. You can also use a flat baking pan with parchment paper sprinkled with corn meal.
14. Using a pizza peel place pizza on baking stone in oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes for thin crusts, or until crust is nicely golden brown on edges and bottom. ( Check bottom by lifting up edge with spatula). Remove from oven.
15. Sprinkle on fresh oregano.
16. Let cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.