Mystery letter endorsing Beckham for Detroit EM sent to Snyder - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Mystery letter endorsing Beckham for Detroit EM sent to Snyder

Posted: Updated:
Charlie Beckham  (Credit: Fox 2 News) Charlie Beckham (Credit: Fox 2 News)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Who wants to be the emergency manager for Detroit?  A letter to Governor Rick Snyder suggests Charlie Beckham is the best selection.

Beckham started working in the Detroit mayor's office for Coleman Young, and nearly four decades later he resigned his position with Dave Bing's administration in 2010.

No one has signed the letter drafted by the Detroit Coalition of Community Leaders.  It includes 36 names of prominent Detroiters who, according to the letter, are endorsing Beckham as emergency manager, including Detroit police officer John Bennett.

"Of the names that I've heard mentioned, I think, by far, he's the most qualified person," Bennett remarked.

He said he is in favor of Beckham as emergency manager, but other people listed as endorsing Beckham say hold the phone.

Mike Duggan, who is exploring a run for mayor himself, said he had no knowledge of his name being included and had no involvement in the drafting of the letter.

Dan McNamara, Detroit fire union boss, and Mark Diaz, police union boss, both said they never endorsed Beckham for emergency manager.

What is Bennett's reaction to his name being included in the letter?

"I don't have a problem with that.  I know there's a big uproar over that, but I've talked to Charlie.  He seems like a capable person.  I think he's qualified.  He can do the job.  I don't have a problem with my name being added to that list," he said.  "Let me say again I'm not in favor of an emergency manager, but faced with the prospects I want somebody who knows what to do."

I tried to reach Beckham for comment on this story, but was unsuccessful.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Fire from lightning strike devastates Roseville church

Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:10:35 GMT
    A raging fire happens in Roseville and of all places to be struck by lightning - the steeple of the New Life Church of God in Christ.Pastor Darrell Moore and his family are devastated."I got here and I found out I really didn't have a church anymore, " he said. Moore was attending a Sunday evening service at another church, when a member of new life called him repeatedly. When he finally answered, it was bad news."The fire department was here, there was water everywhere," said Mary Moore, mot...

Grosse Pointe Park's new farmer's market seen by some as a barrier to Detroit

Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:58 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:58:07 GMT
    Some Detroiters are calling for a boycott of Grosse Pointe Park after the city built a farmer's market that they believe cuts off access to and from Detroit.

Neighbors tie pink ribbons to remember murdered Armada teen

Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:40 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:40:12 GMT
    The community in Armada Township is pulling together to support the family of murdered 14-year-old April Millsap.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Sunday's storm captured by Fox 2 viewers

Sunday, July 27 2014 11:48 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:48:38 GMT
    We have more video of the storm and storm damage from across southeast Michigan. It's Fox 2 viewer pics and video that you sent to us.

Livonia man dies after 2 dogs attack him

Saturday, July 26 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-07-27 01:48:03 GMT
    A 46-year-old Livonia man was killed Wednesday evening after he was attacked by two dogs while jogging in Metamora.

FBI joins the search for Armada teen's killer

Friday, July 25 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:08:38 GMT
    The FBI has joined the investigation team searching for the killer of a 14-year-old Armada girl, April Millsap. Authorities also say they are now looking for a small motorcycle in addition to the gray, dented van seen in the area.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices