Dozens of renters were left looking for a place to live after the extended stay Atlanta motel they called home was shut down on Friday.
The head of the Fulton County Health Department says the Extend-A-Lodge on Frederick Drive was a health hazard. Police say it was a safety hazard.
Many of the motel's residents were outraged by the orders to leave by 5 p.m.
"There's nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong with them at all," said one woman. "You just beat on our door and get us out of the sleep and beat on the door saying we have to leave."
The head of code enforcement for Fulton's police department says they revoked the motel's tourist permit because inspectors found mold, non-working smoke detectors and other violations last week. They also said that they were concerned about the number of calls to 911 about criminal activity at the motel.
"I'm not prepared to speak on the numbers of calls of service, but, yes, there have been high volume calls of service," said Wayne Wright of the Fulton Police Department.
Karen Smith says she paid $195 a week to leave at the motel. She said that she has to be at work at 10 a.m. on Saturday and has no idea how to resolve her unexpected homelessness before then.
Fulton County authorities spent the day offering housing relocation assistance to the families forced to leave the extended stay facility. Police say citations may be issued after their investigation of the motel is complete.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?