‘Cannibal cop’ trail resumes Monday - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Gruesome videos shown in 'cannibal cop' case

Posted: Updated:

By LARRY NEUMEISTER and TOM HAYS | AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jurors appeared uncomfortable Monday as prosecutors showed a video of a screaming woman made to appear as if she were being cooked alive over an open flame and other disturbing images from websites devoted to torturing and eating women -- evidence prosecutors say proves a New York City police officer was involved in a cannibalism plot.

Officer Gilberto Valle frequently visited websites showing women in various stages of forced duress, including one that offered images of women who did not survive, FBI computer forensics examiner Stephen Flatly testified at Valle's kidnapping conspiracy trial.

"Some are dead. ... A couple of them appeared to have been strangled," he said.

As Flatly described the images that were displayed on video monitors in federal court in Manhattan, some jurors put their hands over their mouths. One shook her head. Another wiped his brow.

One cannibalism website allegedly visited by Valle promised customers they would "only receive the highest quality human beef." The jury also heard how the officer allegedly looked up "how to tie up a girl," "human meat recipes," "how to chloroform a girl," "I want to sell a girl slave," "how to cook a girl," "death fetish" and "huge cooking tray" among other topics the defense says were part of a fetish fantasy that never posed a real threat.

The FBI analysis of Valle's laptop yielded an apparently staged video of a naked screaming woman hanging over an open flame that lashed close to her skin. Flatly did not say where the video might have originated. There also were several photos of women with bright red apples stuffed in their mouths.

Two images of naked women roasting on a giant spit were discovered in a computer file of several dozen photographs that Valle kept on a former college friend who prosecutors have identified as a target of the alleged plot to kidnap, torture and eat women. The face of one woman prosecutors say he targeted was cut out and pasted onto a cartoon of a woman being boiled in a pot.

Prosecutors also had wanted to present up to 34 exhibits of even more ghastly images found on Valle's computer depicting women being tortured, dead bodies and body parts. The photos included a picture of a dead body with the feet cut off -- an image Valle's wife testified she saw when she went to one of his favorite sites and discovered why he stayed up late online.

But U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe ruled they were not admissible because they were automatically stored in cache files on Valle's computer. "What we don't have is proof that he ever saw the images here," he said at the start of the second week of the trial.

But the judge permitted the screenshots of Valle's Internet searches about cannibalism. Also admitted was evidence the officer looked up articles written about the rape and murder of a young woman and others about a 15-year-old girl who was kidnapped and murdered in California.

The browsing history also showed that an article titled "Cannibalism can be addictive, expert says" and Facebook pages of alleged targets were viewed.

Valle, 28, has been held without bail since his October arrest. Throughout the trial, which began last week, his lawyers have attacked government evidence as nothing more than the reflection of a man engaging in extreme sexual fantasies with like-minded people around the world. The government has conceded that Valle never met the purported Internet co-conspirators and that no women were harmed.

Jurors have heard testimony from Valle's estranged wife and from former classmates and other women who said they knew Valle on a casual basis and never considered him dangerous. Their testimony was followed by evidence that all of them were the subjects of emails and chats describing how they could be snatched away and eaten.

The government was to conclude its case on Monday. The defense was expected to begin its case by playing the videotaped deposition of the Russian operator of a fetish website that Valle frequented.

  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • LL Cool J stays true to hip hop roots

    LL Cool J stays true to hip hop roots

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:38 PM EDT2014-08-02 02:38:22 GMT
    EXCLUSIVE -- LL Cool J grew and evolved from a hip hop artist out of Hollis, Queens, to a Hollywood TV and movie star. But he always stayed true to hip hop culture. We'd see him backstage at concerts just hanging out with us, so when I heard he was back in New York for the summer I had to find out why. I tracked him down to a Midtown Manhattan recording studio for this exclusive interview.
    EXCLUSIVE -- LL Cool J grew and evolved from a hip hop artist out of Hollis, Queens, to a Hollywood TV and movie star. But he always stayed true to hip hop culture. We'd see him backstage at concerts just hanging out with us, so when I heard he was back in New York for the summer I had to find out why. I tracked him down to a Midtown Manhattan recording studio for this exclusive interview.
  • 'Ice bucket challenge'

    NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

    NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

    Friday, August 1 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:14:45 GMT
    When he was 31, Patrick Quinn, of Queens, received the life-changing news: he has ALS. It all started after a softball game in 2011. After two years of countless medical tests, the diagnosis was final. Since then, Quinn has watched his body change. His arms are much thinner. His biceps and triceps have atrophied. His hands have lost all muscle.
    When he was 31, Patrick Quinn, of Queens, received the life-changing news: he has ALS. It all started after a softball game in 2011. After two years of countless medical tests, the diagnosis was final. Since then, Quinn has watched his body change. His arms are much thinner. His biceps and triceps have atrophied. His hands have lost all muscle.
  • Massive emergency drill in New York City

    Massive emergency drill in New York City

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:14:45 GMT
    The New York City Department of Health conducted a massive emergency preparedness drill at 30 facilities across the city on Friday. They tested the delivery of emergency medications in the event of a biological attack, such as anthrax, or other large-scale public health emergency in the city. The majority of the deliveries will take place to public school buildings.
    The New York City Department of Health conducted a massive emergency preparedness drill at 30 facilities across the city on Friday. They tested the delivery of emergency medications in the event of a biological attack, such as anthrax, or other large-scale public health emergency in the city. The majority of the deliveries will take place to public school buildings.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices