DNA evidence ties uncle to murder of Greenville teen - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

DNA evidence ties uncle to murder of Greenville teen

Posted: Updated:

Prosecutors have released the affidavit used to make an arrest for the murder of Alicia Moore. Police arrested her great uncle, Michael Moore late Monday night.

The affidavit details an intricate scheme by Moore to throw off police.

While the affidavit isn't clear on whether this killing was planned, it does try to show that Moore had a plan to cover his tracks.

Alicia Moore disappeared last November after getting off a school bus and was found four days later dead.

The arrest warrant affidavit for Moore, 57, shows one of the last things Alicia said, made her uncle a suspect early in the investigation.

On the day she disappeared, Alicia Moore told her best friend that she was going with her uncle to Paris, Texas to meet an unknown guy.

The affidavit reveals a bizarre and chilling exchange between Moore and investigators.

He told police he helped catch a friend who was a serial killer in California.

Moore said his friend had sexually assaulted and killed two girls there. Moore described how each girl was choked and dumped, according to the affidavit.

He also told police how that killer tried to misdirect the police in the investigation by getting tissue from a porn shop to leave at the scene, washing the bodies and dumping the girls in a different jurisdiction.

Police said the methods described by Moore in the serial killings in California appear similar to the methods used to kill Alicia Moore and dispose of her body.

The court document also states a DNA sample from Moore matches the rape kit samples taken from his niece's body.

Investigators found another connection. In the arrest warrant, police said trace tan colored animal hair located on the wicker trunk in which Alicia Moore was found. Investigative research showed a tan and white short haired dog on Michael Moore's Facebook page. Police found that dog in Moore's backyard.

Based on Moore's cell phone records, indicated in the affidavit, he didn't use the phone for an extended period around the time Alicia Moore was killed on November 5th. They say he began using the phone again the next day about the time the body was left in the trunk.

Based on the warrants, Alicia Moore may have been alive for up to five days after she disappeared.

Alicia's aunt said the suspect was very involved with the family and was close to all of his nieces and nephews. Jessica Byrd said her family is still in shock and is holding back judgment.

"I believe they have DNA against him but me personally I want to see what else do you got that pins him," said Byrd.

Michael Moore is charged with capital murder in Van Zandt County.

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices