Thanks to Dietitian Karin Hosenfeld for this recipe.
FOR BURGERS:1⁄2medium onion, coarsely chopped1Tfresh lime juice (from 1/2 lime)1cnorganic pinto beans, drained and rinsed1⁄2tcumin1⁄2toreganoSalt and pepper to taste1⁄3coatmeal1⁄4c(from 15 ounce can) of whole kernel sweet corn, drained1large egg white, slightly beaten2tcanola oilFOR SALSA:whole kernel sweet corn (remainder of 15oz can)1⁄4cfresh lime juice (about 2 limes)1ccherry tomatoes, halved1⁄2cgreen or orange bell pepper (about 1/2 pepper)1⁄4ccilantro, choppedSalt to tasteInstructions
· For burgers, place onion and lime juice in food processor or blender; process until mixture is finely chopped. Add beans and chop for a few seconds (do not over process.)
· Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Mix in cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Add egg white and mix gently with fork until just blended. Stir in oatmeal and ¼ cup corn until lightly blended (mixture will be very moist.) Form into eight 2-inch wide patties.
· Heat oil in large nonstick skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Carefully place four burgers in skillet; cook about 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Remove to plate and keep warm while cooking remaining burgers.
· For salsa, mix together all ingredients and serve ¼ cup on top of each burger
Flame-Licked Fingerling Potatoes with Spud Rub
Created by The BBQ Queens
Use the Spud Rub to season the potatoes (and anything else you got going on the grill!), then stir it into the dipping sauce.
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound fingerling potato mix
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Spud Rub
For the rub, combine all ingredients in a glass jar, close the lid, and shake to blend. Store at room temperature.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill. Place the potatoes in a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with Spud Rub. Toss to coat.
Place the potatoes on the grill rack or in grill basket directly over the heat and close the grill lid. After 3 to 4 minutes, open the lid and toss the potatoes or turn the basket. Close the lid again and repeat the process for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Makes 4 side dish servings.
Baked Apples on the Grill
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
· 4 medium tart apples, cored
· 1/3 cup raisins
· 1/3 cup flaked coconut
· 1/4 cup packed Splenda brown sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· Place each apple on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
· Combine the remaining ingredients; spoon into center of apples. Fold
· foil over apples and seal tightly.
· Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until apples
· are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 180 calories, 3 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 1 g protein
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?