Electrical short in neon sign triggered Luna's Tortillas fire - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Electrical short in neon sign triggered Luna's Tortillas fire

Posted: Updated:

Luna's Tortillas was damaged in a two-alarm fire on Monday morning in northwest Dallas.

Dallas fire officials responded to a call around 10:45 a.m. on Monday and saw lots of smoke coming from the one-story restaurant in the 8500 block of Harry Hines Boulevard.

Flames began shooting through the roof a few minutes later and spread quickly throughout the building's attic.

Fire officials on Tuesday ruled the fire was accidental. Their investigation determined an electrical short in or near the neon "Luna's" sign on the south part of the building triggered the fire.

Officials also noted several birds nests that rested in parts of the sign's lettering were heavily burned, which might have fueled the fire.

"This fire here is pretty devastating," said owner Fernando Luna. "I'm sure it's going to shut us down for a period of time."

An unknown number of workers were inside when the fire started, but fire officials say no one was hurt.

Luna's Tortillas has been in business for nearly 90 years in Dallas. The family-owned business was located on McKinney Avenue in Dallas for many years until moving to its current location in 2007.

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices