Snakes all aflame in Bedford apartment fire - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Snakes all aflame in Bedford apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

It was snakes all aflame at a Bedford apartment Thursday morning when a heating system for raising pythons malfunctioned and ignited a fire.

Bedford Fire Chief James Tindell said there were several plastic tubs being using to store small pythons in a room of an apartment. The snakes were owned by the son of the tenant, who was letting her son stay with her in between moves.

The son had a heating system to keep around 20 to 24 snakes warm and that's what malfunctioned and triggered the fire in the complex, igniting the plastic bins.

Fire officials responded to the fire call about 2:30 a.m. on Thursday to the apartment complex where the snakes were kept, which was located in the 2500 block of Central Drive in Bedford

Approximately half of the snakes died in the fire – the majority were young and none of the snakes were poisonous.

The three people inside the apartment were home at the time of the fire, but were not injured. There were also several dogs and cats inside the apartment and all but one have been accounted for.

Tindell said there was very little damage to the apartment unit, mostly smoke and water damage.

Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices