Woman watches husband plummet off cliff: His survival story - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Woman watches husband fall 100 feet off cliff: His survival story

Posted: Updated:

A FOX 10 Exclusive

He nearly died after falling from a cliff. And his wife witnessed the whole thing. The Arizona man lost his footing and plunged a hundred feet, breaking nearly every bone in his body.

The Tucson couple was hiking here in the Behunin Canyon, trying to make it the Emerald Pools.

But before they could, a woman and her four friends watched her husband fall 100 feet down one of these sheer cliffs.

"He lost footing and began to slide down that initial drop off, then eventually slid over the edge of the cliff," says Margaret Proffitt.

Margaret Proffitt watched as her husband Clark slipped and then plummeted 80 feet to the bottom. The drop off was so sharp she couldn't see her husband of 12 years, but she could hear him moaning. Then, silence.

"I was just screaming his name over and over again trying to get some kind of response."

For 15 minutes Margaret cried hysterically, thinking the father of her child did not survive the fall.

"My husband is dead what am I going to do to provide for my family, what am I going to do to break this terrible news to my child, how am I going to go on without him. I don't think I can do it."

After another man in their group rappelled down to his friend's side, Clark was able to mutter a response -- giving his wife the strength to make it to his side, where she stayed for from about 6:30 p.m. to midnight, with a flash flood on the way.

"We talked about our dating years, our wedding and our wedding reception, our three children, the specifics of their births," says Margaret.

Her husband's limbs were twisted and his head was bleeding. All she had for the pain were 8 ibuprofen. At about 11 pm his words stopped making sense. He began seizing and vomiting.

But within an hour, an Air Force Special Ops team got their boots on the grounds and even in lightning, rescued the couple by helicopter.

"I'm so glad he's alive, give me the bad news, because I got the best news I could've gotten. He's still alive."

Clark is still at University Medical Center in Las Vegas. His wife is so grateful that his head injuries weren't more severe because he had on a helmet.

Clark just woke up from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday. He will have a long road to recovery.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices