Council rejects 30-yr. lease for Belle Isle - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Council rejects 30-yr. lease for Belle Isle, approves counter offer

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

The Detroit City Council has unanimously rejected a deal between Gov. Rick Snyder and the city's emergency manager to lease the popular 985-acre Belle Island park to the state for thirty years. Council then approved a more modest 10-year lease, which they say is a better option for Detroit.
 
The council acted at a special meeting Monday. The meeting continued in the afternoon as members discussed alternative ways to save money.
 
State-appointed emergency manager Kevyn Orr has applied for federal bankruptcy protection.
 
Orr and Snyder signed a 30-year lease on Oct. 1 that would make Belle Isle a state park. The deal would save the cash-strapped city more than six million dollars each year in maintenance.
 
The state would invest $10 million-to-$20 million over three years. Each vehicle would be charged an $11 annual admission charge. 
 
Snyder withdrew a similar offer earlier this year following opposition from the council.

Fox 2's Robin Schwartz was at the meeting. She says the council approved an alternate plan, a shorter lease of 10 years, by a vote of 4 - 2. JoAnne Watson and Brenda Jones voted no. 

The council says a shorter lease is better for the people of Detroit.

The state will review the plan and has 30-days to decide. 

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for 3 murders in Detroit

    Man charged for 3 murders in Detroit

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:10 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:10:09 GMT
    A Muskegon Heights man has been charged in connection with three homicides in Detroit.
    A Muskegon Heights man has been charged in connection with three homicides in Detroit.
  • Boyfriend, girlfriend charged after 4 killed in I-94 crash

    Boyfriend, girlfriend charged after 4 killed in I-94 crash

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:03:50 GMT
    Authorities have filed multiple murder charges against a woman and her boyfriend whose argument led to a high speed chase and an expressway crash that killed four people in Detroit on Sept. 22, 2013.
    Authorities have filed multiple murder charges against a woman and her boyfriend whose argument led to a high speed chase and an expressway crash that killed four people in Detroit on Sept. 22, 2013.
  • Recovering quadriplegic returns to the stage

    Recovering quadriplegic returns to the stage

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:30:51 GMT
    A 28-year-old man from Clarkston is told he'll never walk again after a tragic accident, but with modern medicine and raw determination he's working to prove doctors wrong.fb
    A 28-year-old man from Clarkston is told he'll never walk again after a tragic accident, but with modern medicine and raw determination he's working to prove doctors wrong.fb
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices