Drugs are to blame for the death of a Mineral Wells woman whose body was found in a freezer in August.
A Dallas County medical examiner's report states 38-year-old Shannon Herrin died of the toxic effects of methamphetamine, with hypothermia as a contributing factor.
The report states there were no signs on trauma on her body. Instead, she had fresh needle puncture wounds on her arm and there were traces of marijuana, hydrocodone and a prescription anti-anxiety medicine in her system. Investigators also found drug paraphernalia near the scene.
She "likely crawled into the freezer while under the effects of methamphetamine," the medical examiner concluded. Her death was ruled an accident.
Herrin's teenage son found her body in the chest-style deep freezer in the garage of her Mineral Wells home.
"We are mindful of Shannon's family and their grief from such a tragic loss. These toxicology results serve as yet another example of the terrible effects and harm meth can cause to people, their families, and a community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to this family, especially to her son," said Mineral Wells Police Chief Dean Sullivan.
Sullivan said last week his department made arrests connected to a large, organized meth distribution network operating in Mineral Wells.
"We have provided this family with some closure in explanation. It is terrible for anyone to die in such a manner," he said.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?