Sugar and Spice Holiday Delights
1 - 10.5 oz. bag wavy potato chips
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine and mix the powdered sugar, cocoa, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. In two batches toss the powdered sugar and potato chips.
3. Coat chips evenly and remove, reserving any leftover powder mixture.
4. Repeat with remaining chips
Peanut Harissa (served with whole grain pita chips)
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 cups of raw peanuts, without skin
4 ounces dried red chilies
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
Heat broiler to high. Place the garlic on a baking sheet and roast until all of its sides are deep brown, turning often, for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven. Once cool, peel and set aside.
Place the peanuts, chilies, coriander and cumin in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and toast for 5 minutes (turn your hood fan on if you are sensitive to chiles). Add the water and cook for 2 minutes. Cover, turn off heat and let the chilies soak for 20 minutes.
Strain the chiles and peanuts and place them in a food processor with the peeled garlic, olive oil and salt. Purée until it's well blended and smooth.
Transfer to a covered plastic container. As long as you replenish the olive oil occasionally so that there is always a thin layer at the top, Harissa will keep for many weeks, and even months.
Chocolate Cherry Mini Cheesecakes Bites
12 whole reduced-fat vanilla wafers
1 package (8 oz.) reduced-fat cream cheese (softened)
1/2 package (8 oz.) fat-free cream cheese (softened)
3 ounce bittersweet chocolate (melted)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 whole egg white (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup dried cherries (chopped)
1 drop chocolate curls
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with foil or paper bake cups.
3. Place 1 wafer in the bottom of each muffin cup.
4. Set aside.
5. For filling, in a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
6. Beat in chocolate, sugar, milk, and vanilla until well combined.
7. Stir in egg white.
8. Stir in dried cherries.
9. Spoon filling into prepared cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
10. Bake about 20 minutes or until set.
11. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. (Centers may dip slightly as they cool.)
12. Remove cheesecakes from pans.
13. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
14. Cover and chill for 3 to 24 hours.
15. If you like, garnish with chocolate curls and/or strawberries before serving.
16. Makes 12 mini cheesecakes.