Fox 5 and Pike Nurseries help you sort fact from fiction with some of the holiday's most notable symbols: the Poinsettia!
Poinsettias were first discovered in Mexico in 1828 and have become the most popular, recognizable Christmas flower in the US.
• Contrary to popular belief, poinsettias are not poisonous.
• The poinsettia "flowers" are actually the bracts of the poinsettia.
The true poinsettia flower is the cluster of yellow in the middle of the bracts
Types of Poinsettia
• Florist Poinsettias
o Also called "pinched" poinsettias
o Very full poinsettias, the branches should be stable so they don't easily break
• Superior Poinsettias – Pike Exclusive
o Also called "straight up" poinsettias
o Tall poinsettia with larger "flowers" bracts
o A decorator's favorite poinsettia type
• While the red poinsettia remains the most popular poinsettia color, there are plenty of other colors to choose from.
o ‘Carousel Dark Red': Very ruffled and crimped bracts
o ‘Ice Punch' :Variegated garnet/pink and cream bracts
o ‘Marco Polo': Salmon bracts, great to pair with white poinsettias
o ‘Princettia' :The bracts are smaller giving this poinsettia more depth
o ‘Red Glitter' :Red bracts have flecks of cream that look like a dusting of snow
o ‘Strawberries ‘n Cream': Distinct more jagged shaped brackts, Irregular mix of medium pink and cream
o ‘Winter Rose Red': Looks quite different than a traditional poinsettias, ruffled bracts are dense to form a more traditional looking flower
• Tables & Stairway :Place a poinsettia in a pot or buy a wrapped poinsettia and place just about anywhere inside that needs a pop of color or Christmas spirit
• In Houseplants: If you have a small tree or tall houseplant in your home or office spice, it up by placing a few poinsettias around the base of the plant
• Table Settings: Use a cute little 2 inch poinsettia at each table setting – if you're feeling generous, it can be a little gift to your guests
Easy Poinsettia Care Tips
• Do not leave the plant in standing water; always empty water from the saucer
• Water when the soil becomes dry to the touch – too much or too little water can cause leaf drop
• The ideal indoor temperature for poinsettias is 60-70 degrees.
• Do not expose poinsettias to drafts or let them touch cold window panes
• Keep away from direct heat sources like fireplaces or heating vents