School bus company to shut down; NYC seeks alternative - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

School bus company to shut down; NYC seeks alternative

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

While most parents should be relaxing during the Christmas break, many in New York City are now going to have to try and figure out how to get their kids to school.

A memo from the Department of Education explains that Atlantic Bus Company filed for bankruptcy in November and will no longer be in operation as of December 31.

That means the parents of about 40,000 public school students, particularly those with special needs, such as Carin Van Der Donk's 13-year-old son, will be scrambling to find other ways to get their kids to school.

Many parents are just hearing the news about the huge change.

Atlantic Bus Company hasn't made a comment, but its union -- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1181 -- blamed the problem on the same issue that led to last winter's bus strike.

The union's president Michael Cordiello said this: "Once again we are seeing the turmoil caused by the strike that Mayor Bloomberg and Chancellor Walcott's set in motion earlier this year by removing Employee Protection Provisions (EPPs) from Special Education contracts."

Whatever the case, Van Der Donk had this advice: "Everybody get their act together please so the kids can go to school."

Many of those students who will be impacted are those with special needs and with disabilities. Meanwhile the city said it is working on contingency plans, such as giving out special MetroCards to students and finding another bus company.

"We have a plan in place to get every student to school on January 2nd and information is going home to families," Chancellor Dennis Walcott said in a statement. "My team and I have been in daily communication with the Mayor-elect's transition team on the issue."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:28:00 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato.

    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.


Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices