An 8-year-old girl suffered burns Saturday afternoon after an explosion inside a home in North Richland Hills.
Maya Javier was playing X-Box with her cousins last night and literally with the flip of switch she ended up in Parkland's burn unit. Her uncle, Marvin Reinoshek, told us her little body is 40 percent burned.
She was visiting and playing with his kids when she got up to go use the rest room, she opened the door, turned on the light and BOOM. Marvin said his wife rushed to put out the fire on Maya and were frantic for their own kids. They were looking for the other children but they had already ran out the front door.
Marvin said there was an odor in the house, but it smelled like sewer not gas. They were told a gas leak might have caused the explosion that destroyed the inside of his home. The bathroom is blown up, the walls and doors of the home pushed out – the explosion was so powerful that Marvin was knocked off his feet.
Two other homes were evacuated and much of the street was blocked off and for the neighbors, the situation has them nervous. Despite the horrifying event, Marvin says he's grateful they all survived and is now trying to figure out what to do next.
Atmos energy representative says there is an investigation into what happened and they urge all customers to leave the area immediately if they smell natural gas. Don't turn on any lights, open garages or use a cellphone.
Atmos will come check any appliances, free of charge, for a customer if they suspect a natural gas leak. Call their emergency line at 1-866-322-8667.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?