Two firefighters put out a desperate call for help when they became disoriented in a smoke-filled home early New Year's Day.
Not long after midnight, Highland Park firefighters received a 911 call to go to a home in the 4500 block of Livingston Avenue. Upon arriving, they encountered heavy smoke and flames.
They went inside to try to extinguish the fire, but the smoke was too intense, and two firefighters got lost in the home and could not find their ways outside, so they called for help.
Their colleagues immediately went into rescue mode, and aid was called in from University Park and Dallas Fire Rescue. The two firefighters were quickly located and rescued.
"In this case we were lucky," said Sgt. Lance Koppa with the Highland Park DPS. "Firefighters recognized a problem; they couldn't see. They were a little bit disoriented and radioed for command and let them know, ‘Hey, we need some assistance up here.' And we got them the assistance. They were located quickly. We got ‘em out of the structure and continued to fight the fire."
During the fire, the home's chimney collapsed, making the fire more intense. The home's residents managed to escape and were not injured.
The preliminary cause of the fire was the fireplace, where the residents were awake and near while ringing in the new year.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?