Husband defends wife accused of murdering their Frisco son - Dallas News |

Husband defends wife accused of murdering their Frisco son

Posted: Updated:

The father of a Frisco boy whom police say was murdered by the boy's mother is standing by his wife.

He says police have the story wrong and that his wife was doing the right thing.

Frisco officers conducted a welfare check Wednesday evening at a home in the 15000 block of Mountain View Lane. There, they found Arnav Dhawan, 10, dead in a bathtub in the home.

Frisco Police said Thursday that the boy's mother, Pallavi, confessed to killing her son. But the boy's father, Sumeet, says he told police there was no way his wife could have killed their child.

FOX4 sat down with Sumeet Dhawan and his attorney, former judge David Finn, on Friday.

When asked if he thought his wife killed his son, Sumeet said, "No…I mean, my wife and my son were so close to each other. I mean, she saved his life when he was almost about to drown in India a couple of years ago. Not only that; she also sacrificed her career just to support him."

But Frisco Police charged Pallavi with the murder of Arnav.

"When he was born he had a couple of medical conditions," said Sumeet. "One condition is the microcephaly, which is an unusual size of the brain. The other one was he had a cyst in his brain, and the doctors had said when he was born that it could be a potential surgery, and also, potentially that he could have seizures."

Sumeet believes his son died last weekend, while Sumeet was out of town on a business trip.

"I went on 15th of this month," said Sumeet. "I was supposed to come back within 10 days. It got extended by a couple of days. I came back on Wednesday."

"I walked in and my wife was going out," said Sumeet. "She said she was going to come back. She didn't show up for a couple of hours. I got a little anxious, so I called the police."

Sumeet says police came, but said there was nothing they could do about her being gone. Police were about to leave when Pallavi returned home.

"She came in, and then we asked what happened to Arnav," said Sumeet. "She said, ‘Something tragic has happened; he's no more,' and then I called the cops and they broke the door."

"Now, the police said in their news conference yesterday that they asked her if he was in the bedroom, and she said yes and she nodded, and then they asked her if she killed him, and she nodded," FOX4 said to Sumeet. "Is that true?"

"That's not true at all," said Sumeet. "In fact, they didn't even know whether he was alive or dead. So the first thing they did was they went inside. They were not sure whether he was still alive or not. I think they called dispatch and they asked for a firefighter or an ambulance, and then they asked both of us to step outside. After five to seven minutes, the ambulance came. Then they looked at the body and said ‘He's no more.'"

When asked why Pallavi didn't notify Sumeet that something had happened to Arnav, he said, "See, she was, I mean she was probably in a state of shock. Imagine her condition. Your child is no more. I mean, she, I don't know. Maybe she tried to contact me. I was not reachable. She could or should have called the cops. She did not. She probably tried to help him and then she was gone in her state of mind, she just waited ‘til I came back…because she thought if she calls the cops, they'll take Arnav away and I'll never see him again."

Police say the child was in a bathtub draped in cloth with bags around him. The husband says the bags were full of ice.

"That's because she was trying to preserve the body with ice…because she wanted me to see him. She was, in her mind, trying to save him so I can come back and see him. And right or wrong, you know, she should have called the cops. This thing probably wouldn't have happened, right, because this was accidental."

Sumeet says when his father died in India in 2001, the body was preserved until family could arrive from America.

"They, in our home, took one room, they put a full sleet of ice and they laid him there," said Sumeet. "They didn't cremate him because they waited for us to come…me, my brother and my mom."

When asked if Sumeet had told that to police, he said, "No, I have not, because they never asked me that question, right? I mean, because, I didn't even know…my questioning was, what happened when you came in? They probably made a decision that she has done it. I told them, ‘Let's take it step-by-step…let's look at it what the actual evidence is, what the circumstances are before jumping to conclusions."

Pallavi was charged with murder, and her bond was set at $50,000.

"I spoke with the medical examiner," said Sumeet. "She said there's no injury marks, there's no thing on drowning, They still kept it open that he could have died from natural causes."

Sumeet says he can't put into words how he feels.

"Shattered, right?" said Sumeet. "Trying to prepare for this funeral and at the same time, she doesn't care for herself because something very important to her is gone and it's sour son. So she's like totally, she's lost. What else? I mean, son is gone and she's been charged with something which is unimaginable."

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices