A Keller elementary school custodian saved the life of a fourth grader who was choking on his lunch.
Blaze Bevil went through the lunch line like any other day at Parkview Elementary and decided he wanted cheese enchiladas. He took his tray to his table and sat down and began to eat.
"I took a couple bites," Bevil said. "The last bite I took, I started choking."
Bevil stood up, then dropped to the floor. Classmates thought Bevil was playing around, but custodian Jesus Mendoza sensed the situation was very real.
"He tries to breathe, but he can't," Mendoza said. "I pushed the stomach twice, and then here, and I hit on the back and it threw out."
Bevil was shaken by the experience, but was doing fine a few minutes after it happened.
Mendoza said he's not sure if he feels like a hero, but he was happy to make a difference.
"I feel so good, I feel so good because I helped him," Mendoza said.
Bevil did learn something from the experience, though.
"Don't take big bites like I do," Bevil said.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?