2 c kale, very finely chopped
1 large orange
¼ c unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c brown sugar (optional)
1 ½ tbsp flax meal
⅔ c unsweetened almond milk (or rice milk)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
¼ c cocoa powder
1 ¼ c whole wheat pastry flour
¼ - ⅓ mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare a cupcake tin with liners and spray with nonstick spray to prevent sticking.
2. Put the kale in a bowl with ~ 1 c water, cover, and microwave for 1 ½ minute (or boil/steam for a few minutes) to soften. Let cool and drain completely.
3. Finely zest the entire orange into a large bowl. Cut the orange into segments and squeeze out as much juice as you can (approximately ¼ c, add a little water if your orange wasn't very juicy).
4. Add unsweetened applesauce and flax seed to the orange and mix completely. Add the (almond) milk, vanilla, and kale and stir until well combined.
5. Add the baking soda, cocoa powder, brown sugar and flour. Stir until just almost combined. Add the chocolate chips, if using, and stir until just combined. If desired (my preference), reserve some chips and sprinkle on top.
6. Divide the batter between 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Savory Ham, Cheddar & Vegetable Muffins
1 cup Ham, Diced
½ cup Cheddar
2 zucchinis, washed and grated
½ cup milk
1 medium size onion, finely diced.
1/2 tablespoon of flour
1 T Choped basil and parsley.
Salt and pepper.
2 T Parmesan for garnish (optional)
1. Squeeze the zucchini to remove some of the juice. In a skillet oven medium high heat sautee the onion and zucchini in olive oil.
2. Season and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent (not caramelized0 in a medium skillet.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs, milk, cheese, ham and chopped herbs to the flour. Add the zucchini mixture.
4. Pour in oiled muffin molds, garnish with Parmesan and cook 25 minutes or until firm. Oven set at 350F *
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?