Man burned after explosion at his Gilbert, Ariz. home - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Burned man remains critical, some Gilbert homes still evacuated

Posted: Updated:
GILBERT, Ariz. -
Authorities are working on fixing a natural gas pipe in a Gilbert neighborhood after it caused an explosion that burned a man in his garage over the weekend.
 
Fire Department spokesman Brian Ruffentine says the blast occurred when the man lit a cigarette. He's hospitalized with serious burns on his chest, legs, arms, hands and face.

We're told the man is still in critical condition. 

The explosion caused little structural damage to the home but blew out the garage door.
 
About six homes in the immediate vicinity remain evacuated, but Ruffentine says they hope to have them back in their homes by Tuesday night.
 
According to Ruffentine, the home where the explosion occurred doesn't have natural gas service but there's a pipe along the street.

Southwest Gas crews are working to aerate the gas out of the pipes in the affected neighborhood. They will then pull the lines out of the ground and excavate the area in order to further get the gas out.   

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press modified.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices