Fort Worth firefighters canvassed a Southwest neighborhood, going door-to-door offering to check and/or install free smoke detectors and batteries. Participants met Saturday morning at Fire Station 10 at 3209 Hemphill for briefing and to collect supplies before heading out.
The action comes after a series of deadly fires in the city, including one in the 900 block of West Bolt Street. A mother and her 6-year-old son died in a house fire there on February sixth. They were found in a bathroom at the back of the house. The father suffered burns and other injuries. An electrical failure started the fire. There is now a small makeshift memorial on the doorstep of the home.
Firefighters took the opportunity to go to the neighborhood while the tragedy is fresh in the minds of neighbors, who may now be more alert to the need for working smoke detectors in their own homes.
Any Fort Worth resident who cannot afford a smoke detector can get them for free through the city. They can also call their local fire station to have a firefighter check their smoke detectors and change out the batteries, if needed.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?