A North Dallas woman said the dog she adopted from a shelter saved her life when a house fire broke out.
The home next to Allysia Birmbaum's caught on fire in January and the fire was so intense it spread next door to her house.
Birmbaum was in her shower when her German shepherd-Rottweiler mix, Zooey, started acting up.
"She was barking at this wall, shifting from foot to foot, and I didn't know what she was trying to tell me," Birmbaum said. "She never comes in the bathroom she's afraid of the shower."
Birmbaum thought the little bit of smoke in her bathroom was steam, but it turned out to be the fire that had spread from next door. She got out of the shower and heard her neighbors banding on the front door telling her to get out of the house.
Birmbaum grabbed the dog and a cheesecake from her fridge that she didn't want to go to waste.
"They were yelling at me, ‘Don't get in the car the garage is on fire,' and I looked in the garage and felt this rush of heat on my face," Birmbaum said.
Birmbaum got out just in time – the ceiling in her bathroom collapsed during the fire.
Zooey was an Operation Kindness rescue dog adopted by Birmbaum six years ago. It's one of the best decisions Birmbaum has made.
"She saved my life," Birmbaum said. "She's our little angel. Thank you Operation Kindness, she's the best dog ever!"
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?