GM to recall 1.5M vehicles, set aside $300 million for fixes - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

GM to recall 1.5M vehicles after Barra orders stepped-up review

Posted: Updated:
  • GM RecallMore>>

  • Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Thursday, July 17 2014 7:19 PM EDT2014-07-17 23:19:37 GMT
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
  • GM says it's replaced 491,000 ignition switches

    GM says it's replaced 491,000 ignition switches

    Thursday, July 17 2014 2:52 PM EDT2014-07-17 18:52:11 GMT
    General Motors says it has replaced faulty ignition switches on just under 20 percent of 2.6 million small cars that are being recalled. The company has repaired just over 491,000 cars that are covered by the recall announced in February.
    General Motors says it has replaced faulty ignition switches on just under 20 percent of 2.6 million small cars that are being recalled. The company has repaired just over 491,000 cars that are covered by the recall announced in February.
  • GM's legal staff targeted at recall hearing

    GM's legal staff targeted at recall hearing

    Thursday, July 17 2014 12:20 PM EDT2014-07-17 16:20:44 GMT
    GM's Mary Barra on Wednesday morning.GM's Mary Barra on Wednesday morning.
    Lawmakers on Thursday demanded General Motors fire its chief lawyer and open its compensation plan to more potential victims as a Senate subcommittee delved deeper into deadly recalls.
    Lawmakers on Thursday demanded General Motors fire its chief lawyer and open its compensation plan to more potential victims as a Senate subcommittee delved deeper into deadly recalls.

By DEE-ANN DURBIN
AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors issued a new recall of 1.5 million vehicles Monday, part of an effort to assure buyers that it's moving faster to fix safety defects in its cars and trucks.

In a video message to employees posted Monday, CEO Mary Barra said the new recall resulted from a push to review potential safety issues and resolve them more quickly.

It's part of the fallout from the recall last month of more than 1.6 million small cars for defective engine switches. The defect is linked to 12 deaths, and GM is facing multiple investigations into how it handled the recall. GM first began investigating the switches in 2004.

"Something went wrong with our process in this instance, and terrible things happened," Barra said.

Barra told employees that GM is undergoing an "intense review" of its recall procedure, and that its system will change. In the meantime, she said, the company will cooperate fully with government investigators.

"The bottom line is, we will get better as a result of this tragic situation if we seize the opportunity," she said.

GM said it expects to spend approximately $300 million in the first quarter to repair the vehicles in the new recalls as well as the vehicles in the small car recall.

Jack Nerad, editorial director for Kelley Blue Book, said it's better for GM to act on the new recalls now rather than waiting until the ignition switch investigations have ended.

"If you've got bad news now and put it out in a month's time, it looks like a trend and it will just prolong things," he said.

"They're saying, 'This is our stake in the ground and we're changing the way we're operating."

GM announced last month that ignition switches in older models of the Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5s, Saturn Ion, Chevrolet HHR, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky need to be repaired.

The recalls announced Monday include:

- 1.18 million SUVs because their side air bags, front center air bags and seat belt pretensioners might not deploy if drivers ignore an air bag warning light on their dashboard. The recall includes the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia from the 2008-2013 model years; the Chevrolet Traverse from the 2009-2013 model years; and the Saturn Outlook from the 2008-2010 model years.

- 303,000 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans from the 2009-2014 model years because the material on the instrument panel might not adequately protect unbelted passengers' heads in a crash.

- 63,900 Cadillac XTS sedans from the 2013 and 2014 model years because a plug in the brake assembly can get dislodged and short, increasing the risk of an engine compartment fire.

GM says it has received no reports of injuries related to any of the three recalls. But that contradicts publicly available complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Drivers of the SUVs involved in the air bag recall have reported seven injuries to NHTSA because their air bags didn't deploy.

According to those complaints, three people were injured a crash last April when a 2012 Buick Enclave going 45 miles per hour was struck in the side and the air bags didn't deploy. Another driver claimed an injury when an accident shattered the windows of a 2009 GMC Acadia but didn't activate the air bags.

Drivers who report incidents to NHTSA don't necessarily report them to automakers. Also, air bags may not deploy in low-speed crashes, or if they detect a small person or a child seated too close to the air bag.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:39:04 GMT
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
  • DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:06:31 GMT
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
  • City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:31:49 GMT
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices