Suspect in standoff near Victory Park arrested, found unarmed - Dallas News |

Suspect in standoff near Victory Park arrested, found unarmed

Posted: Updated:

The man who Dallas police say is responsible for a standoff on Tuesday is not facing charges because of his possible mental state.

Dallas police say they responded based on the information they had, and while disruptive for people, the public was kept safe.

No one was injured in the standoff that began just before 10 a.m. on Tuesday. Workers below the suspect's fifth floor unit reported gunfire and being showered by glass at The Vista Apartments in the 2300 block of N. Houston Street, which is near Victory Park.

During the ordeal, which lasted for more than two hours, SWAT swarmed the area and snipers kept eyes on what was believed to be an active shooter.

But it turns out that the suspect, 39-year-old David Lamb, didn't have a gun. Dallas police say it's still unclear why shots were heard, but no gun was found.

"We don't know if he's maybe got a place where he's hid it, we just haven't found it, or it's possible he actually broke out the glass with something else, and the people who were there thought that it was gunshots and that's what they called the police," said Deputy Chief Scott Walton with the Dallas Police Department.

Police were able to communicate with Lamb by phone, but didn't get anywhere.

Just after noon, authorities threw a flash-bang device into Lamb's apartment. However, Lamb seemed unfazed, and the waiting game continued.

About 40 minutes later, authorities shot three canisters of gas into the apartment.

Lamb went to a balcony to try and escape the gas, but had nowhere to hide. Police took him into custody, and he was brought to Parkland Hospital to undergo a psychological evaluation.

Throughout the ordeal, apartment residents were asked to stay indoors, and the surrounding streets were closed. The Perot Museum of Natural Science, Dallas World Aquarium, AT&T Performing Arts Center, W Hotel and many surrounding businesses were placed on lockdown.

There were about 2,000 visitors inside the museum and 1,500 at the aquarium, including students on field trips. They were not allowed to leave and no new visitors were allowed in.

Students at Lunar Prep Academy and Booker T. Washington High School were sheltered in place.

Even though Lamb appears to have been unarmed, police are standing by their response.

"I think what we saw today is exactly what everybody would expect from the police department, because even though we can say we haven't found a gun yet, so we have the same situation tomorrow, do we now assume, well, he won't have a gun either?" said Walton. "And you can't do that."

Many residents who live inside of the Vista Apartments say they never heard any gunshots, and it wasn't until they received an email from the management office or when they heard the loud boom from the flash-bang that they knew something was going on.

Some of them said they weren't happy with just getting an email, saying they would have preferred several text updates throughout the ordeal.   

Police said Tuesday afternoon that they cannot definitely say what led Lamb to his actions.

Lamb was arrested by Dallas police for DWI in Sept. 2011. In Dec. 13, he had a protective order placed against him.

Powered by WorldNow

400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices