It's been eight months since a Fort Worth home was torn down by mistake.
Wednesday, a settlement was made in the wake of the city's huge blunder.
The settlement less than what David Underwood, the homeowner, was requesting, but according to him, it's also more than the city was offering.
In July 2013, his grandmother's home, from his perspective, simply vanished. The Lake Worth home was incorrectly marked for demolition, and a city contractor tore it down.
The property had been vacant for several years, but remained a family heirloom.
"At the end of the day, it looks like the city has negotiated in good faith and stepped forward and taken care of what's right," said Underwood.
Underwood and his attorney spent Wednesday in mediation, leading to the tentative settlement.
"We met with the city representatives of Fort Worth and an insurance company for the contractor and the contractor who came together to try to resolve this prior to going to a lawsuit," said Underwood.
The City of Fort Worth says the settlement amount is for $102,500, with the city paying the lion's share and the contractor and its insurer shelling out roughly 40 percent of that.
The City of Fort Worth stopped all demolitions in July of last year after FOX 4 began asking questions about the Underwood home mistake, but the city quietly ramped up the process again recently.
FOX 4 cameras captured a home on Vaughn Boulevard being torn down last week.
We have asked for information on possibly revised procedures for city demolitions. A city spokesman said it would not be available in time for this report.
For now, Underwood seems content and is looking forward to replacing what was once his grandmother's home.
Underwood says he's already talking to builders and hopes to get started right away.
KDFW FOX 4
Main Station Directory:
Didn't find what you were looking for?