Obamacare deadline looms, people still signing up - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Obamacare deadline looms, people still signing up

Posted: Updated:
DALLAS -

The deadline to enroll for the Affordable Health Care Act is Monday at 11:00 p.m.

North Texas has one of the largest numbers of uninsured people in the country, with one in four in Dallas County being uninsured.

"Dallas-Fort Worth is the most uninsured metropolitan area in America," said Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins. He said he expects a rush of people will try to enroll for insurance before time runs out.

The government has granted a special enrollment period, which would allow consumers a chance to get into the system if they had issues signing up beforehand.

Judge Jenkins described the special enrollment period as like being in line to vote when the polls close, but you still get to vote. 

"You're seeing large turnouts at Parkland and across the board where we've got these centers," Jenkins said.  "You know we see this over and over again with flu shots and vaccinations for children on the day before school.  Don't be in a five hour line for something.  Go now while the lines are shorter."

Bottom line: If you've started the enrollment process but you weren't able to finish, you'll be given more time.  But the problem is, no one has said how much time.

Close to 55 percent of those enrolling are doing it online.  Judge Jenkins said the other 45 percent are either doing it on the phone or with help from a certified application counselor.

"You're seeing those lines beginning to stack up with our in-person enrollers and you're seeing people jam up the computers and phone lines," said Judge Jenkins.

The enrollment counselors at Parkland and other locations are first come first served.

The number of people enrolling in Dallas County won't be released until sometime after Monday.

Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices