Somali journalist claims photo shows MN man in Syria - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Somali journalist claims photo shows MN man in Syria

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

A terror group in Syria is offering a one-way ticket, and a Somali journalist says he has photographic proof that some young men from Minnesota are taking it.

Somehow, someone convinced 20-year-old Abdi Mohamud Nur and a dozen other young men to leave the Twin Cities one week ago and fly to Turkey before crossing into Syria to fight for al-Qaeda affiliate al-Nusra, which opposes the regime of President Bashar Assad.

A Somali journalist says one of the Minnesota men in Syria was photographed holding a Koran with what appears to be a suicide bomb strapped to his chest.



Click here to see the original tweet.


"This seems to be part two of 2008. Sadly to say, the community is being victimized by cancerous ideology promoted by terrorists' groups," Mohammed Farah lamented.

Farah saw a similar recruiting effort play out 6 years ago when 24 young men left for Somalia to fight for al-Shabaab. In fact, that's why they started Ka Joog, a Somali youth outreach group that sponsors 4H clubs and the first Somali Boy Scout troop. Farah says they target the same kids as the terror recruiters do.

"We need to make sure young people are educated, not just academically but socially," he said. "These are individuals lacking membership and guidance, and these are the individuals they sake."

This time around, law enforcement is much more on the ball. Agents met with community leaders and passed out cards for anyone who has information.

"The community is still waiting to find who is behind this," Abdi Bihi told Fox 9 News.

Bihi believes there's a local recruiter, but he says social media also plays a role. So far, al-Nusra is believed to have recruited men from Asia, Canada and Europe.

Yet, six years after the first wave, the challenge is the same: Convince young people there are jobs and opportunities in Minnesota, that life in Minnesota has more purpose than death somewhere else.

"We're in a better position," Bihi said. "Still a big issue. Shows we have a lot of work ahead of us."

On occasion, Nur had attended the Dar Al-Farooq mosque in Bloomington. On Thursday, the mosque released a statement saying "Al Farooq Youth & Family Center do not have any knowledge of the circumstances of his disappearance."

The FBI has asked anyone with information on the Syrian travelers to call them at 763-569-8020 or visit www.fbi.gov/fttips.

MORE: FBI says Somalis leaving Minnesota to fight in Syria

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Atlanta hospital prepares to treat American with Ebola

    Ebola patient transferred to Atlanta hospital

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-08-01 16:13:41 GMT
    An American aid worker diagnosed with Ebola will be transferred to Emory University Hospital for treatment. The Atlanta hospital says it has worked with the CDC to prepare for the patient. Emory says it is just 1 of 4 hospitals in the United States capable of treating a patient with the Ebola virus.

    An American aid worker diagnosed with Ebola will be transferred to Emory University Hospital for treatment. The Atlanta hospital says it has worked with the CDC to prepare for the patient. Emory says it is just 1 of 4 hospitals in the United States capable of treating a patient with the Ebola virus.

    .
  • POWERFUL VIDEO: Minnesota soldier returns to be laid to rest

    POWERFUL VIDEO: Minnesota soldier returns to be laid to rest

    Friday, August 1 2014 6:55 AM EDT2014-08-01 10:55:06 GMT
    It's an extremely emotional bit of footage that is rapidly spreading across social media, and the scene shot by a South Carolina man in the terminal has reached the soldier's grateful family.
    It's an extremely emotional bit of footage that is rapidly spreading across social media, and the scene shot by a South Carolina man in the terminal has reached the soldier's grateful family.
  • IN CUSTODY: Officer shooting suspect Brian George Fitch Sr.

    IN CUSTODY: Officer shooting suspect Brian George Fitch Sr.

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:07 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:07:28 GMT
    Fox 9 News is learning more about the suspect wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick, 47, during a traffic stop, and it turns out he was already a wanted man when that traffic stop began.

    Fox 9 News is learning more about the suspect wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick, 47, during a traffic stop, and it turns out he was already a wanted man when that traffic stop began.
Widgets Magazine
Powered by WorldNow

KDFW FOX 4
400 N. Griffin Street
Dallas, Texas 75202

Main Station Directory:
(214) 720-4444
News Fax:
(214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices