Two people were rescued from a burning home in East Dallas early Tuesday, but more than 50 dogs died in the fire.
Firefighters responded to a call just before 4 a.m. in the 400 block of Grandview Avenue near Randall Park.
Firefighters rescued multiple dogs from the home, but at least 53 dogs were killed in the fire.
“It is unknown why so many dogs were in one home, but reportedly there were more than 70,” said Dallas Fire spokesman Jason Evans.
City ordinance says no more than six dogs are allowed on a half-acre property, with as many as eight allowed on a bigger lot.
The dogs who survived the fire were treated at the scene and then turned over to animal control.
The flames and heavy smoke had trapped both people inside the one-story home. The man suffered burns to his hands and the woman was treated for smoke inhalation, but both are expected to recover.
Investigators said the fire started from an “unspecified electrical short in the non-fixed wiring” of a window-mounted air conditioner in a bedroom. The fire spread rapidly through the home, officials said, which is why the damage was so extensive.
KDFW FOX 4 400 N. Griffin Street Dallas, Texas 75202
Main Station Directory: (214) 720-4444 News Fax: (214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333