The City of Rowlett is fired up again over safety at the Garland Public Shooting Range.
Some of the safety devices that were installed specifically because the City of Rowlett sued to get them are now gone, making the range a safety concern once again.
Rowlett city attorney David Berman drove by the shooting range after a tipster told FOX 4 that some of the safety baffles were gone. Sure enough, Berman says he confirmed it.
“It is amazing,” said Berman. “I can't understand how somebody would have the nerve to be able to do something like that after all the work and all the time and knowing that he is required to do this.”
Photos sent to FOX 4 show the range and what is left of the baffles -- they are piled up in a heap.
Two years ago, the City of Rowlett sued range owner James Day, and last year, the two sides agreed to raise the berm and install visors and baffles, which are insulated with ballistic foam. The goal was to keep the bullets on the range and away from neighboring Rowlett homes.
In 2010, Mike Domin was struck by a bullet in the back while working in his yard. Then, in early 2012, two other homes were hit by stray bullets that penetrated interior walls.
Domin sued the range owner, and last year, a jury awarded him more than $1 million. Day is now appealing part of that judgment.
FOX 4 tried contacting Day, but he did not return our calls.
Berman says the city's lawsuit was dismissed after the safety improvements were made, so his recommendation to the mayor now will be to file another cease and desist. Berman says he never imagined the range would remove the safety devices that the city worked so hard to get.
“I guess we made the mistake of relying on his good faith,” said Berman. “…It’s just shocking that he would act in such disregard.”
Berman says he has already spoken to the mayor, and the council will take up the matter at the meeting next Tuesday.
KDFW FOX 4 400 N. Griffin Street Dallas, Texas 75202
Main Station Directory: (214) 720-4444 News Fax: (214) 720-3263 or (214) 720-3333